Friday, January 26, 2007

Saul's Legacy

I Samuel 8-9 has some fascinating aspects that might be thought to relate to modern, American-style, evangelical Christianity, or at least the version of it that is most familiar to me. I'm seeing it up close lately at my home church, where the new CEO/preacher has taken full advantage (to say the least) of the authority conferred on him.

1. Saul arose as a result of popular demand for a king despite repeated, prophetic warnings about the tragic consequences that would surely ensue.

2. There was a Samuel on the scene, a prophet who routinely heard the voice of God directing his steps. He was on the scene before Saul and at least had the ear of the people, if not the assent.

3. Saul was a commanding, physical presence with drop-dead appearance. The author of I Samuel doesn't give us much to go on concerning his personality, so I'm not sure if he was a charming guy or not. But he was certainly noticeable for his looks and his stature.

4. God, at times, will allow us to do our own thing knowing consequences will occur and people will get hurt. God intends to use the consequences of our disobedience to bring us back to Him. This is the redemptive curse at work. (Thanks to DM for this insight.) Can you think of more interesting aspects of the setting here?

qb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the more telling sign is that the people refused to ask for a prophet like Samuel. They knew that God's prophets did accurately speak for and represent God, but what about a king? They seem to not care a whit about whether the king can speak for or represent God accurately. They just want the power or figurehead that he represents to other worldly peoples. Suppose I was wanting to become a preacher and further suppose that my motives were good in wanting to do so. What would my response be if God came to me and said, "That's fine if you want to be a preacher, but do realize that you're really choosing to have a life without Me." I'd be totally taken back!! I'd be stopped dead in my tracks!!! Though I may not understand how my desire to be a preacher is choosing to be without God, just the fact that He told me that would be enough for me to repent and thus change directions!! These guys are unfazed by it. It's as though they are saying, "So! Even still, we want a king. It's not God that we really want to hear from or be led by anyway." I fear that this is where many people are in regard to preachers. You cross them about a preacher and they get fighting mad. It's as though they are saying, "I don't really care if I hear directly from God my self of not, I just want a preacher who'll be responsible to deal with God for me!"